It’s Real: College Students and Mental Health is a documentary featuring the stories of six college students from across the country. The film reveals depression and other mental health conditions as they are commonly experienced by young adults, and shows how students can seek help for these conditions and successfully manage them. It can be used as part of an educational program designed to raise awareness about mental health issues experienced in college and to encourage help-seeking among college students.
This program seeks to:
- Illustrate how mental health conditions such as depression can interfere with a student’s ability to enjoy college and be productive in their work
- Convey that depression and other mental health conditions are real illnesses that can be managed through specific treatments and interventions
- Encourage and promote help-seeking behavior among college students
In addition to educating college students, the film may also be used to educate college-bound young adults, parents, faculty, and others on the subject of mental health, suicide prevention and the college experience. It is intended to encourage students to be mindful of the state of their mental health, to acknowledge and recognize when they are struggling, and to take steps to seek help.
Included in your purchase of It’s Real: College Students and Mental Health are the following downloadable components for conducting a successful presentation at your school/university:
- The documentary film – It’s Real: College Students and Mental Health, available with English and Spanish subtitles.
- A facilitator’s guide which contains instructions for using the film, suggested discussion topics, information on depression and other mental health conditions and frequently asked questions.
- Participant Feedback Form
- Modifiable Resources List Template
- Suggested Resources